Sunday, March 1, 2009

Random Search Result: The Please Touch Museum

I stumbled upon the Please Touch Museum located in Philadelphia, PA by chance: through doing a random search for the word please. I don't even remember why I searched for it, but the Please Touch Museum was at the top of the results list. Similar to my finding the Canon Camera Museum, I stumble upon museum related things when I'm not looking for them.

The Please Touch Museum is a children's museum and if I were little, this place would be a lot of fun to go to and spend hours. This so does not look like a museum where one brings their kids for an hour or two. I don't think that I would want to leave. They also have a playhouse theater with original performances and a carousel. Age wise, I think the museum is geared towards the toddler to kindergarten age group, at least it looks that way from the pictures that the website provides.

One of the things I like about the museum website is that for every listed exhibit, there is a list of children's books that fit the theme of the exhibit. It's a great idea especially for when kids find a particular exhibit really fun, parents can then bring home some of that fun in books dealing with similar topics. I wonder if these lists are provided at the exits of these exhibits for parents to take with them. Some of the books listed are for a slightly older age group than what I would have guessed based on the pictures, so far I've seen a book recommended for up to age 8, but there is nothing wrong with that in the slightest. It is just another way to expand one's imagination and knowledge. It also gets older children (maybe older siblings) involved with what the younger kids had fun with at the museum.

I am impressed by just about everything that I see on the website, and am further impressed by the food offerings in the Please Taste Cafe. Everything listed seems healthier than one would find in any other cafeteria like atmosphere for both kids and adults, and all of the prepared foods are nut free. It is also fully wheelchair accessible. Now a days, I think that these things are so important.

If you are in the Philadelphia area, I certainly recommend checking it out if you like what you see on their website.

They also have a blog, detailing the history of some of the more popular children's toys, which can be seen at http://www.toysandplay.blogspot.com/. The most recent post chronicles the history of the Easy Bake Oven.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if you'll be at AAM, but you should try to check out Please Touch while there. I spent hours playing there!

    ReplyDelete