Monday, February 9, 2009

No One Noticed the Cat - A Book Review

Let me preface this by saying that I find myself buying books to get the free shipping from places like Amazon, Borders and Barnes and Noble. I try to find a book which puts me just over that free shipping edge. This is one of those books found solely for it's price. I do not think that I would have sought it out otherwise. After reading the book, however, I am glad that I did find and buy it. I am also considering the purchase of some of the author's other books, but that will be once I finish the massively large "to read" pile that sits in my room, which gets larger faster than it shrinks.

-----------------------------------

Today's book review is of No One Noticed the Cat by Anne McCaffrey. Known more for her Dragonriders of Pern series (which I have not read), this is a short (182 pages) story chronicling the events surrounding the Prince of Esphania after the death of his regent, including a hunting trip with the rulers of the neighboring kingdom, his wedding, and a plot to kill him and all other potential heirs to the other kingdom so that the Queen can rule for her infant son. Key in this story is the regent's cat, Niffy, who with a very limited vocabulary might be the smartest one in the book with a very big personality. Niffy is, clearly, no ordinary cat and often takes matters into her own paws.

I thought that overall the book was well written and clever, but sadly, I think the ending moves too quickly into a nicely bundled package. It clearly leaves little room for a sequel, which is something I look for in a standalone book, but even another 10 pages would have provided the adequate description which would have elevated the conclusion to a more satisfying level. I really wish that this book was longer.

That being said it is a quick read if one has a couple of hours to spare. I do recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment